English in a Minute – Third time's the charm 事不过三 三次必成
Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》.
A "charm" is something that can bring good luck. It can also describe something that turned out perfectly.
“charm”是能带来好运的东西。它也可以用来形容某件事结果很完美。
But why would we say, third time's the charm?
但我们为什么会说 third time's the charm 呢?
Big news,Dan! My sister's getting married,again.
大新闻,丹!我妹妹又要结婚了。
Again? How many times has she been married?
又?她结过几次婚了?
Twice. But you konw what they say:Third time's the charm!
两次。但你知道人们常说:三次必成!
Well, good luck to your sister?
哦,那祝你妹妹好运?
Thanks. We all have a really good feeling about this marriage,again.
谢谢。我们对这段婚姻又有了美好的感觉。
To say third time's the charm means that a person finally succeeds at something on their third try.
third time's the charm 的意思是某人在第三次尝试时终于成功了。
We use this phrase to encourage someone who has already failed at something a couple of times.
我们使用这个短语,来鼓励那些在某事上已经失败了多次的人。